Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Student Sends Email from Verizon Wireless Blackberry

(An old OTR article from one that never came out)

Last night Amanda Harper ’11 was just too lazy to walk over to the computer. “My blackberry buzzed,” she remembers, “and I had received some like group email. There was no way I going to get up or lean forward and use my laptop.” After working at JPMorgan last summer Harper received a blackberry, and now claims she “totally can’t live without it.” Harper admits that emailing from her blackberry is especially appealing because it includes the message, Sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry"

Although Harper revels in format of her emails, others are far from convinced. “Once I received an email from Amanda,” remembers her friend Kathryn Lyman ‘11, “and it said ‘ Yo slut. Sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry’. I mean honestly, it’s pretty obnoxious. I felt like a) I’m not a slut and b) fuck your blackberry.” Lyman expressed further annoyance in that the emails she sends are now considered pedestrian: an insecurity Harper immediately confirmed, stating “She definitely sends her emails from a computer—probably from a desktop too.”

Acquaintances pointed out that, “This is typical Amanda. As soon as my newsfeed read, ‘Amanda Harper has installed the Facebook for Blackberry Application’ I knew if was over,” said Tyler Lee ’10. He further explained, “I mean it’s sort of bullshit because she doesn’t even have a real Blackberry; she has a pearl or whatever.”

Harper pointed out that she couldn’t email everyone about her blackberry and Facebook was really the best way to go. “It was just my way of telling people I had stepped my game up,” said Harper. “I’m just disappointed you can’t personalize the message at the bottom of your email. I mean how great would it be if it read, ‘Sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry, bitch’”

No comments:

Post a Comment