Monday, November 1, 2010

You are fooling no one

I hope everyone had a good Halloween. I'm sorry I haven't posted all week. The truth is that I was spending so much time planning and creating my costume that it was nearly impossible to be creative in any other venue. I forgot that parents like dressing up on Halloween too. Why are they doing this? Your costume tricks no one. I know, from my past experiences, that you are not the "grim reaper" nor are you a "ballerina." Even though your child was a ghost, and this might be confusing, I was able to step back and say, "No, I don't believe you. You're just wearing costume."   


Also, people seem to have no problem being different ethnicities for Halloween. Like, people will be Chinese for Halloween. They just put on the most racist or stereotypical outfit they can find and "like, a lot of eyeliner." Or, and I've seen this a bunch at my white parties with all my white friends, people are "ghetto"  for halloween. They put on hoop earrings and BAM they're gangster/ ghetto. Like they are literally black for halloween. 


On the cover of Time recently (or maybe Newsweek? ) There was  white woman surrounded by Indian children and she was wearing sari. Why? Just because you've been to India, and undoubtedly read Eat, Pray, Love--or at least seen the movie and been like totally inspired--does not mean you are from India. You are fooling no one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment