Wednesday, November 10, 2010

You know what, I'll take the melody


Do you remember the prom scene in She's All That? Everyone is hanging around dancing and then all of the sudden this one song comes on and BAM they are doing this boys vs. girls choreographed dance? It comes out of nowhere; it's totally unexpected. Everyone was like, "OMG how weird was that?" That's how I feel about musicals all the time.

I have a serious problem with suspension of reality commitments. Like in musicals, everyone is walking around and then all of the sudden in the fucking town square or school gym everyone is singing. Or--even worse--two people will be talking and someone will break into song. Why is everyone okay with this? If I were trapped in a musical I would be like, "Hold on, what THE FUCK is going on?" How come this never happens? Everyone is way too complacent; they just go along with it like, "okay, you know what, if you're going to sing, I'm going to sing too. You know what, I'll take the melody."

I've watched Glee a couple times but I can't get past the singing part. Obviously this causes some issues. Once I was on the subway and someone just started singing a hymn. I don't mean a homeless person (or that blind man that miraculously navigates the entire train system as if he just saw Jesus and is set to go) I mean a completely random person. It was a worst case scenario. I just wanted to be like, "Excuse me sir, can you stop. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment