Saturday, December 1, 2012

You are amazing

When I think of exercise, I think of playing sports and having a real tangible goal. This is why I had so much trouble just running at first: Where am I going? Oh, I'm just going to run in this straight line to an end point and then I turn and run back the same way and feel good about it. It's like climbing to the top of a mountain and then climbing back down - reaching the top of a mountain is the worst metaphor for anyone talking about accomplishments. "Amazing job! Now, please, just walk down slowly and cautiously."

This made Soul Cycle an entirely new concept to me; not only was I going to be riding a bike in place (Progress rate: 100% guarantee of no movement whatsoever), but there was going to be a lot of emo shit going on at the same time. Also, I don't like the word "soul", it's kind of like saying "magical." The thought of sweating in a dark room with candles and motivational sayings did not seem like something an athlete does. CONFESSION: I fucking love it. When I'm on my bike and I'm biking so hard and going nowhere, I feel amazing. Then the instructor says something like "Love yourself!" and I'm like, "hey, no problem. I AM THE BEST."

No comments:

Post a Comment